Contract and Proposal Writer – JOB FILLED
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
The business services department conducts a large portion of the contracting and purchasing efforts of the company. The candidate selected for this position will support the operation of the business services department with a specific emphasis on contract and RFP development. Other duties will include analyzing documents and data to assess accuracy, completeness and conformity to reporting and procedural standards.
- Perform substantive scope of work content development for RFPs and contracts.
- Develop well defined, thorough bid specifications for the solicitation of goods and services.
- Work across all divisions of the organization to obtain answers, commitments and generally ensure sufficient information has been collected to develop comprehensive and complete scopes of work.
- Proofread documents and contracts for contextual, grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Build an understanding of differing department needs in order to tailor contracting and purchasing actions to best serve the target audience and the needs of the organization.
- Review and complete purchase requests and determine applicable bidding requirements.
- Review and validate bids and quotes for responsiveness to bid specification and scope of work.
- Track vendor payments against balance remaining on contracts.
- Audit and process vendor invoices to ensure payments are made accurately and timely in accordance with California Prompt Payment Act.
- Use computer systems and applications to access, create, edit, print, send, retrieve or manipulate data, files or other information.
- Develop and maintain desk procedures to provide guidance and compliance with departmental rules and regulations in carrying out work assignments.
- Learn agency activities, departmental systems and fiscal control activities.
- Maintain records and support documentation for accountability in accordance with State document retention policies and department procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or related discipline a plus.
- One or more years’ experience in business or copywriting.
- Demonstrated record of success in business writing or grant writing.
- Strong skills in communication, grammar, spelling, telephone etiquette, tact, discretion and judgment.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts pertaining to contracting, proposal development terminology, principles, practices and procedures.
- Awareness of business risk and compliance procedures.
- High level of proficiency and knowledge in the usage of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A genuine passion for learning and producing high quality work.
- Ability to comprehend technical concepts and assimilate detailed information relatively quickly.
- Comfortable asking questions.
- Ability to work under pressure and beyond standard hours during busy periods to meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding accuracy and attention to detail.
- Highly self-motivated with advanced analytical and logical thinking.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to initiate, plan, prioritize and conduct multiple projects successfully.
- Ability to adapt to changing priority of tasks.
- Ability to work well both in a team as well as independently.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Reports to a supervisor or manager but also interacts with and receives guidance and training from other departmental staff.
- Knowledge of State of California purchasing and contracting codes.
- The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Will be required to perform other duties as directed, requested or assigned.
Key success factors
- Experience writing grants, RFP’s and contracts. Any combination of these types of documents is ok. If they have only grant writing experience that is fine.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Background working for State of CA in purchasing or contracting is a plus for this provides understanding of their codes.
- Any state work is comparable and other government work also.
- Other industries besides government contract experience that work out well are aerospace and educational institutions.
- Confident personality and ability to multi task.
Contact: Margaret Sherman (Recruiter) email@example.com